Doyle's Fish & Hicky Bar

##################################

Saturday, February 04, 2012

Good Work


Good Work
Aug 19, 2009
Got a chance to participate in a bbq benefit this last weekend. Its the third one I've done this year. I've been involved in the past but not nearly so much as now. Generally all benefits around here have silent and live auctions. I take care of the silent part by providing all kinds of small items for it. Most of the stuff I donate comes from last of a line, overstocks, stuff that doesnt sell well, and returns, though I do throw some cherry picked items in . I generally donate about 30 to 40 items.   I can fill up the bed of a small truck pretty easy.
 In all, with the barbeque and live auction we raised 15K in one day. The receiver of the benefit was a local electrician who came down with throat cancer. While in the large scheme of things 15k wont help for long, it still provides relief right now. When I first started doing this type of thing I was pretty judgemental about the folks getting the money. After a while I realized that it doesn't matter. Someone thought they would make a good candidate so I guess thats enough. I would rather err on the side of charity.
 After an all day workout, the heat was over 100 here, we finished up at about 6pm and gave the family the money. Thats when all the tears started. I learned they had been hiding their car from the creditors. They only had one car too. What a great way to move old merchandise and give to those who suffer.     The little money it would have brought me pales next to what I get out of it.
 It was a good days work and good work is hard to find. --

No comments:

Post a Comment